Some Old Places of Hall County
This is a few of the names and information around Hall County. I will add to this page as I find more items . If you have information to add to this page please email me,
excerpt from This and That by Sybil McRay
ABSALOM POST OFFICE
Located at the intersection of Brown's Bridge Road and Keith's Bridge Road. Named for Dr. Absalom Wingo.
Dec. 6, 1880 Absalom Wingo
Oct 8, 1883 - Stephen Hall
July 29, 1884 - Joseph Smith
Nov 17, 1890 - Absalom Wingo
Nov 3, 1898 - Thomas Gaswick
Dec 7, 1898 - Joseph Smith
Nov 29, 1901 - Absalom Wingo
discontinued on Apr 30, 1902
ACCOMODATION POST OFFICE
Located on Mitchell Creek, at a mill- store operated by Lindsey Williams
Linsey Williams - June 20, 1892
discontinued - July 20, 1893
ARCADIA POST OFFICE
Tadmore area arround Lebanon Methodist Church
March 15, 1872 - John W. O'Neal
October 29, 1873 - Morris M. Jones
discontinued- May 19, 1880
East of Clarks Bribge Road and North of South Bend Church. Flag station for the Gainesville and Northwestern Railroad.
Middle fork of the Mulberry River two and a half miles Southeast of Hog Mountain on Union Church Road.
Clarissa Post Office
Somewhere in the Narramore or Glades district in East Hall County October 24, 1889 - Augustine C. Gailey November 17, 1899 - Hugh Vinton Griffen discontinued March 24, 1902 to Glades.
COBELL POST OFFICE
located in the Lott General Store , Winder Highway
North fork of the Mulberry River three fourths of a mile from the county line.
In the 1870's a Brooklyn , New York syndicate bought numerous claims and small holdings in the Flat Creek area of Hall County. They established a store,mining office, cotton gin, saw and planing mill,grist mill,sorghum mill, manufactured threshers sold Glade Mine Flour and corn meal. The firm owned 6000 acres and did lots of farming. They opened a Post Office in 1879. Oliver T. Jenkins was the manager with A.G. Jennings. Charles R. Clemmons was the secretary of the company. Clemmons was a Methodist Minister. He was born in India and employed by the East India Company before moving to the United States in 1876. Clemmons Chapel on Highway 52 in the Glade District is named for him.
First Diamond Discovered in Georgia
" A great variety of minerals exists ( in northeastern Hall County ). The first diamond ever discovered in Georgia was found in Hall County. Dr. Daniel's owns the diamond found about two miles from Winn's Ferry aka " The Glade Mines " Those owned by Dr. Banks and Major Bell were found among the old gold diggings in the gold region of the county. One of the diamonds found here brought $200. The county is also famous for gold.
Statistics of the State of Georgia ( 1849 )
The Annals of Lula 1976
Iris Thompson Fry
Glade Mines Post Office
moved from Polksville in 1879
Aug. 14, 1879 - Oliver T Jennings
Sept. 15, 1881 - Mark P. Wray
Feb, 28, 1891 - Charles R. Clemmons
Jan. 23,1902 - Minnie W. Peterson
Dec. 22, 1902 - Jeff D. Rogers
Glade Shoals is one mile north of Brookton on the Lula Rd(Hwy 52) and Flat Creek.Closed to the Public
Haynes House- On Highway 129 north at the NE corner of Sam Black Road about one mile from Quillians Corner one of the very few antebellum structures in the North Hall area was constructed. There is no record of it serving as a Tavern but it was built on the first stagecoach route from Dahlonega to Clarkesville, it no doubt served many weary people.A remnant of the old road still exists. About a mile from this point the Phillip Byrd store was located and the Argo Post Office. Though it has been known as the Haynes House no one knows who built it.
HUDGEN'S POST OFFICE
Robt. Hudgens - February 28,1903
MOTAN POST OFFICE
Between Candler and Bellmont on the Gainesville Railroad. The name Motan was named from the owner of the store the Post Office was housed in. Moses Tanner was a prominent landowner. The date of the establishment is not known but is listed as 1905. It was discontinued sometime in 1905 and was then known as Klondike. Tradition has it that the new name was from a brand of canned goods made locally. The cannery owner was Jim Adams
The institution was located close to Cherrywood Drive , south of Brown's Bridge Road. This was during the Civil War period. It was moved further west in the 1870's just south of Brown's Bridge Road.. The name was unusual in that most Counties called it the "Poor Farm". Later it was known as the "County Farm".
This community was located close to Peckerwood and Buffington Roads in East Hall County, Gillsville District.
Located about 3/4 mile north of Price Road ,off Bark Camp Road. One of the very early gold mines. May 4, 1831 U.S. Telegraph reported ,"At the Elrod and Protosi mines were found some 3,000 workers.". In 1834 it was operated by two Englishmen. By 1894 John Johnson and J. H. Summerall had sunk a shaft, but quicksand forced them to abandon the project. In June 1895 The Protosi Mine and Milling Co was incorporated with H. T. Fisher President and Mr. Whitem Manager. It was reported to have gold and silver 15% and 60%, 1 foot on average.
STOBO POST OFFICE
February 8, 1902 - John W. Spencer
February 20, 1903 - Starling Waters
Fenruary 28,1903 - William A. Wood
Discontinued July 15, 1905
STOCKING EATERS MINE
Stocking Eaters Mine- (Also Stalking Eater & Stockeneter) The mines were located on a tributary of Flat Creek and developed by Dr. Richard Banks who operated the mines for 16 years beginning in 1833. Diamonds were found . This was later known as Glade Mines.
STRICKLAND POST OFFICE
May have been located in what was known as Stricklands Store in Oakwood.
May 5, 1893 - Ulysses S. O'Dell
May 18, 1897 - William C. Allen
Discontinued July 30, 1898
Stringer's Ford- On December 26, 1831 The General Assemble authorized James W. Jones, John M. McAfee, John Welchel, Edward Cowen and Sevier Clark to conduct a lottery to build a toll bridge at Stringer's Ford.(No evidence has been found as to whether a lottery was held or a bridge ever built.
SUGAR HILL POST OFFICE
James Almarine Thomas. He ran the Post Office at Sugar Hill in 1859 'till it closed in 1867and when the post office was re-opened again in 1869 his son Howell Thomas ran it until 1880. Then James ran it again from 1880 until he died in 1899. If you don't already have a picture of him here is one. He ran the post office out of his home. It has been described as a large log cabin with huge logs. It had a large loft upstairs and a small room downstairs off to the side for the kitchen. There was a large flagstone fireplace and chimney. In the yard were planted walnut trees and a huge fig bush. Besides the family living and farming there, it served as a post office for the surrounding farms. They would bring the mail from town and then the people from surrounding farms would come there to pick their mail up.
Tanner's Mill was located on the Walnut Fork of the Oconee River in Hall County, Georgia. It was a well known landmark in the Chestnut Mountian area for well over 100 years. It was burned by vandals in 1986. Before it was destroyed it was one of the oldest gristmils in Georgia and the oldest in Hall County. Mathew Tanner, Jr. was one of the first Tanners to migrate to this section of the south. He purchased 250 acres in Jackson County Ga from Elisha Winn. A son of Mathew , David Tanner purchased the property where Tanner's Mill was to be built. David and his wife, Elizabeth Chamblee Tanner had eleven children, four of these children fought in the Civil War.
TIME POST OFFICE
Somewhere close to Dewberry #2 Church
April 18, 1893 - William A. McCrary
March 30, 1903 - Dempsey J. Blackwell
Discontinued August 10, 1903
TRUST POST OFFICE
Located on Clarksbridge Road in a store between Tom Maynard Road and Black Road. The store was probably owned by Barry O'Kelly. Later it was owned by Milton and John Haynes.